Alle discussies over nieuwe routes, niveaus, uitgebroken grepen, slechte hakenstand, knappe herhalingen, vogeltjes... alleen in België!
Titel Gepost door Berichten Views Laatste    

Quelle/Welke Massief por Top-Roping

NearlyDutchDan 10 3932 23-9-2008 09:54  

Laatste

NearlyDutchDan
krijg ik een pintje?
24 posts

12-9-2008
11:23

Quelle/Welke Massief por Top-Roping

Hoi / Allo / Hi, (just trying to be multi-lingual)

I have heard that Hotton is good for top(bottom) roping, can anyone recommend any other Massiefs where I can top(preferably bottom) rope?

Merci / bedankte / thanks

Daniel.

Jo
soms ga ik ook klimmen
1843 posts
Think different!

12-9-2008
13:02

Erhm... what is it you want exactly? Top-roping or leading?
You can install a top-rope at many crags in Belgium, but it's not always appreciated to monopolize a route for a long time...

NearlyDutchDan
krijg ik een pintje?
24 posts

12-9-2008
14:43

I'm looking to toprope - from the bottom if possible (often called bottom roping)

Jeroen vd S
tooghanger
133 posts

13-9-2008
15:50

(often called bottom roping)
Is het 1 april of zo?? Nooit van gehoord.

Top ropping means that the rope is fixed at the top. Bottom roping would be leading.

As Jo said; you can toperope basicly on any crag. Most of the time you need to lead the routes first to install a TR.

If you have never done any lead climbing i suggest you find a course in your local gym. If you are not confident with leading than find a crag like Durnal to built your confidence.

NearlyDutchDan
krijg ik een pintje?
24 posts

15-9-2008
10:36

Bottom Top-roping

Thats good advice thanks and I can understand the confusion.

Top roping as you say is when the rope is fixed at the top, however the belay could be at the top of the route or the rope can be doubled and the belay can be at the bottom of the route.

I've often heard the term bottom roping to highlight the difference, so it's not an early/late APril fools

I have experience leading and have enough confidence. I am planning on taking my children who have only ever climbed indoors and I wanted to make sure I could 'bottom' rope them for a few reasons.

1) To make it as close to climbing indoors as poss on their first trip 'out'

2) Much easier to give support and check on safety from below.

you mention Durnal, I shall give it a look.

I get the feeling that at Hotton the practice of toproping from below (bottom roping) is going to be possible - even if I have to lead the route to set up the belay so maybe I am worrying about nothing - I just wanted to check before we arrived.

thanks again for your concern and if you have any comments/recomendations please let me know

gr,

D.

bartcockx
tooghanger
76 posts

17-9-2008
18:02

goyet

I find Goyet a very good cragg to climb with children. Not only there are lots of easier and often not pollished routes, but the ground at the crag is flat and makes a good area to play. There's even a cave! Fun indeed!

NearlyDutchDan
krijg ik een pintje?
24 posts

18-9-2008
11:43

Go-yet Go-no :)

aparently to climb at Goyet you need to be a member of VBSF, BAC or Bergstijgers!

My BMC membership doesn't count. I was also told it was too busy this weekend.

Which leads me to something else, in Belguim do you need to make a reservation or something?

D.

gr
tooghanger
153 posts
Keep walking

22-9-2008
23:37

Groups need to make reservation. To see that not 2 groups are climbing at the same crag at the same day.
You best contact the kbf or the cab to clarify where when to climb. http://klimenbergsportfederatie.be
http://www.clubalpin.be/
Normally you bmc membership should be sufficient to climb at belgian rocks. However all rocks in belgium are on private property. What makes that the owner can add restrictions to the climbing. In other countries crags are state owned and have less entry problems. Also the fact that we have a country laying to the north of belgium with a lot of rock climbing lovers and no rocks, makes access regulations down south 'strange'.

Toffee
soms ga ik ook klimmen
3933 posts

23-9-2008
09:23

Normally you bmc membership should be sufficient to climb at belgian rocks.

if you're british, it should...

NearlyDutchDan
krijg ik een pintje?
24 posts

23-9-2008
09:54

Great day out

Well the weekend was fantastic, great weather and some fine climbing. Kids loved it and we did some lovely easy climbing.

Hotton is fun, we climbed mostly on the Amonts massief which gave the kids a good intorduction to climbing outside which they loved.

So I expect to be returning in the near future.

Thanks to everyone for their advice

gr,

Daniel.